- Schedule: Seven 90-minute Zoom sessions on Sundays at 1pm AZ time, starting January 16 and ending February 27
- Facilitators: Jan Kaplan and Diana Edwards
The 8th Principle
Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad is a “resource for white people willing to align what they profess to value (racial equity) with their actual practice (anti-racist action).” UUCP has unanimously adopted the 8th Principle. What does that mean to each of us? In particular for white people, what is our work? Have you asked: “What do I do?”
By working through the 28 chapters (the “28 day challenge” condensed into 7 sessions) together, we will help build the racial stamina required to challenge the racist status quo. As the author states: “This book is a one-of-a-kind personal antiracism tool structured to help people with white privilege understand and take ownership of their participation in the oppressive system of white supremacy. It is designed to help them take responsibility for dismantling the way that this system manifests, both within themselves and within their communities.”
- A seven week, lesson-structured study and self-reflection group, based on the book Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
- Every Sunday, 1:00-2:30p, from January 16-February 27, 2022. At this point our plan is to meet by Zoom, but the group can decide.
Who Should Participate?
- Those who identify or pass as white and benefit from white supremacy.
- In particular, those who have not had an opportunity to participate in the UUA’s “Beloved Conversations” course should consider this group.
- Acquire your own book before the start of the sessions (scholarships available if needed).
- Be open to deep reflection, deep listening, personal sharing, journaling.
- Attend as often as possible, but please do the reading prior to the session. The chapters are geared so that you can pick up in discussion at any point; they need not be done in order.
- Note: this is not a “drop in” group. We ask that a commitment be made prior to the 7 week session. We will develop a covenant together in the first session. Group size will be limited (and we will explore adding another group if necessary) so that all have opportunity to share.
Sessions: (all on Sunday, 1-2:30pm)
- January 16: We will covenant and get to know our group around a discussion of the Forward and “Welcome to the Work” of Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad – pp. xi – 26
- January 23: Days 1-5 – pp. 33-66
- January 30: Days 6-10 – pp. 67-98
- February 6: Days 11-15 – pp. 99-133
- February 13: Days 16-20 – pp. 134-170
- February 20: Days 21-25 – pp. 171-190
- February 27: Days 26-28 and What Next? – pp. 191-210
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.