UUCP Gift Acceptance Policy
The Unitarian Universalist Foundation of Phoenix (UUFP) and the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Phoenix (UUCP) can live into their shared vision through the generosity of members and friends. The Gift Acceptance Policy is intended to establish the parameters regarding cash and real asset donations.
- Acceptance of any contribution, gift, or grant is at the discretion of the Unitarian Universalist Foundation of Phoenix (UUFP). UUFP will not accept any gift unless it can be used or expended consistently with the purpose and mission of UUCP and the UUFP.
- No irrevocable gift, whether outright or life-income in character, will be accepted if under any reasonable set of circumstances the gift would jeopardize the donor’s financial security.
- UUFP will refrain from providing advice about the tax or other treatment of gifts and will encourage donors to seek guidance from their own professional advisors to assist them in the process of making their gifts.
- UUFP will respect the intent of the donor relating to the desire to remain anonymous. With respect to anonymous gifts, UUFP will restrict information about the donor to only those staff members with a need to know.
- UUFP will accept donations of cash or publicly traded securities. Gifts of in-kind services will be accepted at the discretion of UUFP.
- Certain other gifts, real property, personal property, in-kind gifts, non-liquid securities, and contributions whose sources are not transparent or whose use is restricted in some manner, must be reviewed prior to acceptance due to the special obligations raised or liabilities they may pose for UUFP.
- UUFP will respect the intent of the donor relating to gifts for restricted purposes. UUFP will not accept gifts that would result in any unacceptable consequences for UUFP, including but not limited to (a) result in UUFP losing its status as an integrated auxiliary of UUCP, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, (b) are too difficult or too expensive to administer in relation to their value, or (c) are for purposes outside UUFP’s mission. Decisions on the restrictive nature of a gift, and its acceptance or refusal, shall be made by the Finance Committee, in consultation with the President of UUFP and the UUCP Lead Minister.
- UUFP will not compensate, whether through commissions, finders’ fees, or other means, any third party for directing a gift or a donor to UUFP.