Our choir and many of our small musical groups are on hiatus, we’re between pianists, and singing hymns together would spread COVID. So we’ve hired many of my favorite Phoenix musicians who work as solo artists or in duos to be guests in our spring services. Throughout the spring, we’ll have everything from flamenco guitar and classical harp to contemporary grooves, marimba, and accordion. And of course, we’ll have some important services reserved just for our community’s musicians. Our choir and our many musical ensembles will be back- they will rebuild- but in the meantime, take a breath and enjoy some beautiful music!
– Benjie Messer, Music Director
(Stay tuned as we fill in all the dates, and be sure to subscribe to Compass if you haven’t already to get the latest news.)
- January 23 – Soul and gospel with singer Camille Sledge
- January 30 – UUCP Musicians help us prepare for the ordination of Sky Williams-Tao
- February 6 – Caribbean music with steel pan drummer Wes Hawkins
- February 13 – Jazz accordion with Tony Putrino
- February 20 – Flamenco guitar with Kristofer Hill
- February 27 – UUCP Musicians kick off our stewardship month!
- March 6 – Funky grooves with guitarist Steve Himmelstein
- March 13 – Blues + roots with the Sugar Thieves duo, Mikel Lander and Meridith Moore
- March 20 – UUCP Musicians sing at our Pet Blessing Ceremony
- March 27 – Jazz vocalist Renee Patrick, with pianist Nicole Pesce
- April 3 – TBD
- April 10 – Contemporary vocal looping with Holly Pyle
- April 17 – TBD
- April 24 – Marimba soundscapes with Marilyn Clark Silva
- May 1 – Singer-songwriter AJ Odneal
- May 8 – Rhythmic improvisation on tabla with Shreyas Iyer
- May 15 – UUCP Musicians close out the spring on Celebration Sunday!