So many of you have asked how you can help. Here is a list of the opportunities to serve and help us make some Good Trouble:
- Sign and circulate petitions for Save Our Schools initiative to stop voucher expansion. The deadline of September 24 is fast approaching. Learn more about this initiative and how you can help at teamsosarizona.com.
- We have developed a partnership with Center for Common Ground and their postcarding efforts. We have postcards available targeting infrequent African American voters for the midterms elections. Please stop by the Good Trouble table in the back of the sanctuary before or after the service to pick them up.
- The UUA has also forged a great partnership with Vote Forward to write letters to voters encouraging them to vote in the midterm elections. Here is the link: Vote Forward
- Poll Observer (Volunteer position): Poll observers monitor how an election is administered and report issues so that they can be handled in a timely manner. For example, if a disabled voter requests that a ballot be brought to their car, but a poll worker refuses or forgets, you would be able to report that issue so that it is handled and the voter can participate in curbside voting. Poll observers are needed for early vote and on Election Day. Sign up to learn more.
- Sign up to be a Poll Worker in Maricopa County (Paid position): Poll workers are an essential part of democracy and the election process. Counties rely on poll workers to work on Election Day, throughout the early voting period, and, in some cases, after election day. No matter the role, poll workers are vital to the success of elections in Arizona. Learn more about being an Arizona Poll Worker.
- September is Voter Registration Month for Equality Arizona! Over 4% of Arizona residents identify as LGBTQ+, and our elections are decided often by only a fraction of a percent. The nonpartisan Equality Arizona Foundation registers thousands of new voters every election and works to safeguard the rights of Arizona voters. You can register for a Voter Registration event at Equality Arizona.
- Canvassing, phone Banking, texting for your favorite candidate or party: As a nonprofit, UUCP cannot promote anything related to a specific party or candidate. However, any partisan electoral activities you do on your own can be reported and will count toward our Good Trouble status. Please let us know.
In case you missed it, please take a minute to read our September 2022 Good Trouble Newsletter.
Note: Let us know if you work with a non-partisan organization that needs help with any voter related activities, and we will get the word out! We still have room in the Good Trouble group; please reach out to us for additional information: firstname.lastname@example.org